Monday, April 5, 2010

Southern Peach Cobbler




I wanted to make something fruity and fitting for Spring, so I decided to try a Peach Cobbler...but not a regular one, but a Southern Peach Cobbler. It's more cakey and doesn't involve oats or crisps. I used frozen peaches since they are not in season right now, but next time would like to try fresh ones.
Since this recipe called for an 8x8 pan and I wanted to use my Baker's Edge pan for even cooking and easy scooping, I doubled the recipe. I don't think I needed to do that! I had to keep checking on it and pushing in the sides with a knife because it was about to overflow! The Baker's Edge website says it is equivalent to a 9x13 pan but I really think it's a little smaller. This recipe also originally said "1 tablespoon baking powder", which I followed but I do not think that is right. Something tasted a little "off" and I couldn't put my finger on it (no one else agreed with me)....I'm pretty sure that's what it was. Especially since I doubled it to 2 tablespoons! I changed the ingredient list to 1 teaspoon below. Other than that, it was fabulous! I paired it with vanilla ice cream.

Adapted from: http://www.culinaryconcoctionsbypeabody.com/


INGREDIENTS
½ cup unsalted butter
1 cup plus 3 TBSP granulated sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp baking powder
¾ cup milk
2 cups of sliced peaches, with or without skin(your preference)(some recipes used as many as 3 cups…I think I might do that next time)
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
¼ cup chopped pecans

DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350F. Place butter into a pan. Let melt (2 recipes said to brown the butter and 3 said just to melt it…I just melted it). Place melted butter into an 8 x 8-inch baking pan. In a small bowl, mix together 3 TBSP sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon. In a medium bowl, mix together granulated sugar, flour, cinnamon sugar mixture, baking powder and milk. Pour this on top of the butter and do not stir just leave it be. Place the sliced peaches evenly on top of the batter. Sprinkle brown sugar and pecans on top of the peaches. Bake for 40 minutes or until the top turns golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature. Top with ice cream or whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment