Friday, April 2, 2010

Cookies-N-Cream Cupcakes






My husband said these definitely have to make it on the "Make These Again" list. They were so yummy! The oreo on the bottom gave it a nice touch. (Though at first my brother-in-law thought that I burnt the bottom and was nice enough not to say anything until he bit into it and realized it was a cookie!) The icing was fabulous as well. It wasn't your typical cake icing and I think that's why I liked it so much. The amount of icing I made was much more than I needed to top the cupcakes, so my dad was dipping pieces of bread in the icing bowl! I guess he liked the contrasting tastes...
Cupcake Recipe adapted from: http://www.beantownbaker.com/

INGREDIENTS
24 paper liners for cupcake pans
30 Oreo cookies
1 pkg plain white cake mix
1 cup sour cream
1/2 cup vegetable oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
DIRECTIONS
Preheat your oven to 350 and line the pans with paper liners. Count out 12 Oreos and separate the top and bottom wafers. Make sure each half has some icing on it. Place one wafer, icing side up, in the bottom of each paper liner. (I had a hard time opening them and getting frosting on both sides, so I just put the side with frosting in the cupcake paper and put the other side in a bowl to crush and put in the batter). Crush the remaining Oreos by any means you like. I put them in a Ziplock and smash them. Set the crumbs aside. Place the cake mix, oil, sour cream, eggs and vanilla in a large mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer on low for 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides and beat again on medium about 1.5 minutes more. Measure out 1 1/2 cups crushed Oreos and fold these into the batter. Set the rest of the crumbs aside for garnish. Fill your liners 3/4 full with batter and place the pans in the oven. Bake the cupcakes for about 18 minutes until they are golden and spring back when lightly touched with your finger. Cool in the pan on wire racks for about 5 minutes and then remove cakes from pans and cool completely on wire racks.

Icing recipe adapted from: http://www.allrecipes.com/

COOL WHIPPED FROSTING with Oreos

INGREDIENTS
1 (8 ounce) container frozen whipped topping, thawed
1 (3.5 ounce) package instant vanilla pudding mix
1 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Crushed oreos (I couldn't tell you how much, I just used whatever I had left over!)

DIRECTIONS
In a medium bowl, combine pudding mix with milk and vanilla. Mix until smooth. Gently fold in whipped topping until no streaks remain. Add crushed oreos. Spread evenly over cupcakes.





No comments:

Post a Comment