Thursday, November 12, 2009

Apple Harvest Blondies




Wow, were these bars good! I wasn't expecting much from them, but they were fantastic. This was one of the apple recipes I tried on Thursday night, hoping to find something to add to the Thanksgiving desserts (or Christmas Party desserts...). I think I found it! They are from RecipeGirl.com
**Edit - I orignally made a small batch of these and loved them - they tasted very buttery. I made them a second time in a 13x9 pan and they were much thicker and cakey. Not bad, but I feel in love with them the first time and they didn't turn out quite the same the second! (Maybe my calculations were wrong the first time! I'll have to find out what that was...)

2/3 cup unsalted butter
2¼ cups packed brown sugar (divided)
3 large eggs
2 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pure vanilla extract
2 medium apples, peeled and chopped
3 ounces cream cheese, frozen for 1 hour (I used more than 3 oz., probably 4)
2 ounces finely chopped pecans or walnuts (I omitted the nuts - not a fan of them in desserts!)
1 tsp ground cinnamon


1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 13×9-inch baking dish.
2. Melt butter in large microwave-safe bowl (just until melted). Remove from microwave and stir in 2 cups of brown sugar. Mix well, then add eggs, flour, baking powder and vanilla. Mix just until combined. Fold in apples.
3. Spread batter into prepared dish. Chop cream cheese into small bits and mix with nuts, cinnamon and remaining ¼ cup of brown sugar. Sprinkle evenly over batter.
4. Sprinkle over batter and bake 35 to 40 minutes.
Yield: About 24 blondies


No comments:

Post a Comment