Thursday, May 26, 2011

Blueberry Lemon Pound Cake







I wanted to find something light and spring-like for Easter dessert (in addition the the chocolate pudding cake!). This cake was originally from Cooking Light and it was wonderful. It was almost like a dense blueberry lemon muffin. Yum! I altered the icing/glaze....quite a bit. I actually have no idea what I did to come up with the end result. I tasted the lemon juice mixed with powdered sugar and honestly I thought it was awful. So I added some sugar.... still no good. Maybe some flour to thicken it up... nope. So, I googled a cream cheese frosting recipe and then added some of the lemon glaze (already significantly modified at this point) to that. It turned out really well! My suggestion would be to make a cream cheese frosting and add some lemon juice. You'd think I'd take more notice as to what I was doing since I knew I'd be posting this recipe!






INGREDIENTS
1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter, softened
1/2 cup lower in fat cream cheese, softened
3 large eggs
Zest of 1 lemon (about 1 Tbs)
1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
2 tsp vanilla
3 cups all-purpose flour, divided
2 cups fresh or frozen blueberries
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 (8 oz) carton non-fat lemon yogurt (I use vanilla if I don't have lemon on hand!)
Cooking spray
1/2 cup sifted powdered sugar
4 tsp lemon juice




DIRECTIONS
Preheat oven to 350º. In a large bowl beat the sugar, butter and cream cheese at medium speed with a mixer until well blended (4-5 minutes). Add the eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Beat in the vanilla, lemon juice and lemon zest. In a smaller bowl measure the 3 cups of flour. Remove 2 Tbs and sprinkle over the blueberries, gently stirring and tossing to coat. To the remaining flour add the baking powder, baking soda and salt, stir to combine. Add the flour mixture to the sugar mixture alternately with the yogurt, beginning and ending with the flour mixture, being careful not to over-mix. Gently, fold in the blueberries. Pour the batter into a bunt pan coated (VERY coated!) with cooking spray. Sharply tap the pan once on the counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350º for 1 hour and 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. (about one hour). Cool the cake in the pan for 10 minutes on a wire rack. Remove cake from sides of the pan. Cool an additional 15 minutes on a wire rack, then remove the cake from the bottom of the pan. Allow to cool completely.


GLAZE (I did not use this and could not tell you how I made mine! Cream, powdered sugar and this icing were involved...)
Combine the powdered sugar and lemon juice in a small bowl and whisk until smooth. Drizzle over the cake.





No comments:

Post a Comment